2012/11/27

Perhaps Firefly Is the One Who's Weird

Yep. Sailor Moon quote. I couldn't think of anyone else named "Hotaru" (it's Sailor Saturn's real name), and besides, there is inexplicable geek-cred attached to that series. Possibly it has to do with being of the Old Guard, that being the magical girl anime once upon a time—and one of the last ones whose target audience was what we'd call YA, not little girls or college-aged guys.

So I thought I'd add a new tag to the bloguncule; can't imagine why I didn't do it from the get-go (maybe I just didn't want to admit that I am obsessed). Namely, a Firefly tag. Toward thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering show; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

Anyway, I was reminded of the need for such a tag by a habit of mine, something I'm not proud of, of periodically googling to see if people are mentioning that Firefly is, you know, not science fiction, has bad worldbuilding, etc. And the results are dismal; a society where so many allegedly intelligent people can be taken in by that horse-hockey passed off as science fiction should be very, very worried.

E.g., someone seemed to think it was a strength of the show that they never talk about their ships' workings. Quote, "but because its just normal everyday tech to them they don't sit around talking about it (its like when you get into your car..you don't turn around, look at the passenger and say 'engaging gas combustion engine...stand by')".

Only, sorry, cupcake, but on a nuclear submarine (or aircraft carrier), that is precisely what you do, and decent spaceship engines start at "nuclear submarine" level of danger, and just keep getting worse. And the nuclear sub engines are "normal everyday tech", it's just that if anything goes wrong, men die by the hundreds, many of them vomiting teeth and blood (some of them excarnated instantly by superheated invisible steam). Also? The same (minus the radiation poisoning) was true of pre-nuclear ship engines; the boiler on a steam-train or a diesel ship is not half-assed, either. Maybe people whose sole knowledge of heavy machinery/powered vehicles is cars should not be writing about rockets. Ever hear of the trope "Every Animal Is a Dog"?

Anyway, now you can conveniently find all my significant mentions of the show by clicking a tag. Yes I know you can just use the search-bar, but if it comes to that, why have any tags at all?

No comments: