2011/07/05

Don't Miss the Forest for...

Don't say I never gave you anything. So I was looking up Vlad the Impaler, because, why not, and I realized, there was a phrase I wanted to know how to say in Romanian. So I clicked over to the Romanian Wikipedia (like ya do), and found the part about his tactics against Mehmet (hint, if the Turks think you're over the top, you are the Liberace of torture). I couldn't find the right word, though, so I copied a likely-looking paragraph into Google Translate, and, low and behold, I found something out:
Pădure de Țepi
Oh yes, it's "Impaler's Forest" in Romanian. Actually it's forest of spikes (I think it might actually be Vlad the Spiker).

Incidentally, I learn lots of things by switching Whiskey Papa articles to other languages. Like, in an older version of one of my SF stories, I had some Chinese space pirates, one of whom was a 10-year-old girl, the younger sibling of some of them. And in one scene someone mentions piezoelectricity, which is not a word the average 10-year-old knows. So she turns to her relatives and says, "What's 'aatdihnhaauhyìng' mean?" (we all know Chinese space pirates should speak Cantonese). But it was a matter of but moments to find 壓電效應, thanks to Wikipedia.

No comments: